Skip to main content

Yet another word from Gabby

We dropped by Toys R Us to use a gift card from Christmas, all seemed to go well. I was even to the point of strapping Gabby in the carseat, when her eyes caught her first victim of the day. A really tale, broad man, with long wavy hair, wearing dark sunglasses, a black tshirt and a do rag. Gabby points and yells as he is walking beside our van, "Look it's a pirate! Look Brian and Kensie he's a pirate." He heard and actually chuckled at it. I wanted to request an "ARRR" out of him, but thought best not to push my luck. We had a little chat when he left.

At wal-mart we met the neatest old man on one of those riding carts. He was a spitfire and immediately started harassing my kiddos when he saw them arguing. I felt like I was getting to enjoy time with my grandpa all over again...until I saw his hand. He was missing 2 fingers and a thumb and had a bandaid on a wound. Seconds after I noticed, so does Gabby, "why do you have a bandaid on?" as she POKED the bandaid, quite hard. Then she notices his hand. Up scrunches her nose and upper lip then squirting of her eyes in her typical fashion "What happened to your fingers?!" He explained that he cut them off on a saw when he was a little boy. She tells him, "I'd do something about that." After a bit he starts to cruise off and pats them all on the head, except Gabby, and she backs away and tells him, "no, not with that hand". We had a little chat when he left.

Then we were in the Wal-Mart bathroom. There were 4 stalls and my kids were in 3 of them while I waited in line with 3 other ladies behind me. Someone passed gassed. I just bowed my head. I knew I was about to be embarrassed yet again. Gabby yells in a singsong, "Uh-oh, someone tooted! Momma, did you hear that? Someone just tooted. Gross!" We had a another little chat when we left.

It still wasn't as bad as the time we saw a (I have to word this very carefully as not to offend anyone, please forgive me if I do, I'll try to be as politically correct as possible) topless, african american, little person, dressed like a ganster. I saw him coming down the isle, but it was too late to turn around for he had already been spotted. Now my kids have not ever had an issue with race, they've inquired, and we explained that it is the same as all the different colors of the flowers. God made people all different to make our world a more beautiful place. (not to mention in a perfect world and in my husband perfect fantasy world, I would have been born of color) I was just praying that Gabby would remember that since he didn't have a shirt on. Her jaw dropped, giving her most dramatic shocked looked I've ever had to witness and she literally circled around him, the whole time pulling away from me, saying, "momma, look how short he is. What is wrong with him? You can see his underwear. Why is he almost naked? What is on your head? He's as short as me." Mind you, that even when this child is talking it sounds like she is yelling. All of her questions and comments were topices, we had not thought to talk about. I apologized almost wishing he WOULD pull out a gun and put me out of my humiliation at this point and dragged her away. We had a little chat when we left.

What is so wrong about putting a shock collar with low voltage on a child for training purposes?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highway Horror

We were on our way back to college after a fun weekend trip to a friends home. The windows were down to allow at least the breeze in since it was scorching hot outside and this car had no air-conditioning, in fact, we were lucky it ran at all. And with the windows down, we actually had a nice cross breeze with the holes in the floor board.We were singing to whatever song we could find on the stations in the middle of Kansas on some little mostly unknown highway. It was the quickest route between Manhattan and Wichita. There are many things in life to fear and many things to fear in the flat lands . I had been in Wichita on two separate occasions when there were tornadoes , but this threat was even worse. On a long stretch of quiet highway we enjoyed the beautiful sights of the pastures and sky. There were several tractors working in the fields and mowing in the ditches. Up ahead of us, there was something covering the entire road for as far as we could see. As we neared, it lo

Devotion for Baby Shower

I am so sad to miss out on this opportunity to get to celebrate LeAnne and the gift of this baby boy. I was asked to share a devotional and while honored, I also know my wisdom and experience pales in comparison to many ladies that are in LeAnne's life. Especially the example of her mom Judy. I am so thankful for their close relationship and friendship and the instruction that her parents and Josh's parents give to them to seek after the Lord. The is no greater accomplishment. My own parenting has been a constant learning process and with each new child I realize how little I only thought I knew. I pray for less of me and my weaknesses so that HE can fill and lead our family. Devotional: Live Fully in the moment. While it is easy to love a sleeping, snuggling, cooing baby. Kisses on warm fuzzy heads & velvet skin. Chubby little fingers, toes and thighs. That breathtaking love so deep that our hearts hurt as they sigh and find utter fulfillment resting on our chests.

Teen Driver

My blood pressure is surely thru the roof!  We have a new teen driver.  An overly confident boy who has been, "driving for years." I reminded him that while he is doing a fantastic job the majority of the time, the lawn mower and the occasional farm truck during hay season does not a professional driver make.   I ran errands with him today for almost 2 hours.  And while I never let out a screen or grabbed the "oh crap!" bar, I can confidently say that my nerves can only handle the 1st hour.